Friday, June 6, 2008

The Shepherd And The Nymph

I remember in HS where a classmate and I competed in some school contests and we delivered poems by great classic poets of old. Here's some lines my partner and I recited from memory. I wonder where in the world has my partner gone? Those were the days....Oh-lah-lah!




The Passionate Shepherd To His Love
{Christopher Marlowe}
The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd
{Sir Walter Raleigh}
*********

  • Come, live with me and be my love
  • And we will all the pleasures prove
  • That valleys, groves, hills and fields
  • Woods, or steepy mountain yields.
*
  • If all the world and love were young,
  • And truth in every shepherd's tongue,
  • These pretty pleasures might me move
  • To live with thee and be thy love.
*
*
*
  • And we will sit upon the rocks,
  • Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks,
  • By shallow rivers, to whose falls,
  • Melodious birds sing madrigals.
*
  • Time drives the flocks from field to fold,
  • When rivers rage and rocks grow cold,
  • And Philomel becometh dumb,
  • The rest complains of cares to come.
*
*
*
  • And I will make thee beds of roses
  • And a thousand fragrant posies,
  • A cap of flowers and a kirtle,
  • Embroider'd all with leaves of myrtle.
*
  • The flowers do fade, and wanton fields
  • To wayward winter reckoning yields;
  • A honey tongue, a heart of gall,
  • Is fancy's spring, but sorrow's fall.
*
*
*

  • A gown made of the finest wool,
  • Which from our pretty lambs we pull;
  • Fair-lined slippers for the cold,
  • With buckles of the purest gold.
*
  • Thy gowns, thy shoes, thy beds of roses,
  • Thy cap, thy kirtle and thy posies,
  • Soon break, soon wither, soon forgotten--
  • In folly ripe, in reason rotten.
*
*
*


  • A belt of straw and ivy buds,
  • With coral clasps and amber studs,
  • And if these pleasures made thee move,
  • Come live with me and be my love.
*
  • Thy belt of straw and ivy buds,
  • Thy coral clasps, thy amber studs,
  • All these in me, no means can move,
  • To come to thee and be thy love.
*
*
*
  • The shepherd swains shall dance and sing,
  • For thy delight each May morning;
  • If these delights thy mind may move,
  • Then live with me and be my love.
*
  • But could youth last and love still breed,
  • Had joys no date, nor age no need
  • Then these delights my mind might move
  • To live with thee and be thy love.
*
*
*
*********************************************









No comments: